Tel: 586-214-9384 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Portfolio: emmaklug.com Blog: thestylenote.com
Emma Klug has held various editorial, PR, social media/copy writing and blogging positions. Her professional experiences and school work have provided her with skills that are useful for a career in writing, digital media, and marketing, and she is eager to contribute to a creative work environment.
Associate Editor, Hour Detroit Magazine – Hour Media, Troy, Michigan, December 2016 – Present
- Responsibilities include: Updating each issue’s Arts and Entertainment listing; editing the “Insider” section of the magazine; pitching and writing stories on art, fashion, food, entertainment, and more; mentoring new interns every semester; assisting with fact checking and reviewing final PDFS of the magazine; attending weekly staff meetings; collaborating with the art department and style editor on photo shoots and fashion features; and contributing to other Hour Media publications, such as Health Guide and Metro Detroit Weddings magazine.
Founder, thestylenote.com Sept. 2012 – present
- Responsibilities include: Single handedly creating concept and focus of The Style Note blog, writing shorter and longer articles on style and fashion several times a month, covering local fashion events, managing contributing writers as well as social media and the overall voice of the site, implementing best SEO practices and marketing techniques, and utilizing Google Analytics to track trends and opportunities on the website.
Associate Editor, DBusiness Magazine – Hour Media, Troy, Michigan, May 2016 – December 2016
- Responsibilities included: Writing and editing up to 30 news stories a week for DBusiness Daily News, using My Emma to prepare a daily newsletter, interviewing and supervising editorial interns, maintaining the magazine’s social media pages, contributing to the print publication’s 30s in Their Thirties profiles, CEO gift guide, fall fashion feature, and more, working with web editor and art director to prepare print stories for the Website, coordinating interviews and sources for each issue’s franchise report and listings, preparing and publishing party pics, on the move postings, and calendar items on the magazine’s website, and attending local business events on behalf of the magazine.
Associate Editor, BNP Media, Troy, Michigan Oct. 2015 – May 2016
- Responsibilities included: Working as associate editor for both Flexible Packaging magazine and Snips magazine, rewriting press releases for news items and product descriptions, preparing and sending out weekly e-newsletters, interviewing and writing feature stories, creating videos for the magazine’s YouTube channels, attending and covering industry trade shows, scheduling and maintaining social media channels, pitching and producing original editorial content, repackaging print material for the web, corresponding with readers and contributing writers, and reviewing and editing drafts of the magazines.
Staff Writer, mindequalsblown.net, July 2015 – December 2015
- Responsibilities included: Writing album reviews on alternative and indie music, writing in-depth editorial features for the site, working with editors to publish pieces, and uploading articles to the site’s content management system.
Editorial Intern, DBusiness Magazine, Troy, Michigan May 2015 – Oct. 2015
- Responsibilities included: Writing stories for DBusiness Daily News, covering and photographing local events and business openings, pitching editorial ideas for DBusiness Daily News and DBusiness magazine, creating franchise reports on various industries, collecting information and fact checking for magazine listings, assisting the stylist and art director on the September issue fashion spread, attending team meetings, and interviewing and writing profiles for the magazine’s 30 in Their Thirties feature.
Community Manager, Idea Booth, Chicago, Illinois June 2014 – March 2015
- Responsibilities included: Overseeing 10 Facebook accounts for a local restaurant group, writing SEO friendly blog posts for the agency’s website, researching and presenting information on new trends and best practices in the digital marketing/social media industry, preparing content calendars on a weekly basis, reviewing data and analytical information associated with various social media pages, responding to social media pages, curating posts for social media, collecting news and content to post on social media all while staying in pre-approved brand guidelines, assisting graphic designers with web design projects, and creating social media guides for clients.
Intern/Contributing Writer, theworkingwardrobe.com, Chicago, Illinois, June 2014 – January 2015
- Responsibilities included: Submitting two articles per week on new clothing and stores, managing Instagram account for the website, contributing to social media content, and attending events and taking photos.
Editorial Intern, nothingmajor.com, Chicago, Illinois, April 2013 – September 2013
- Responsibilities included: Generating story ideas and posts for the blog, communicating with artists and designers through email to set up feature stories, managing the Twitter account for weekend traffic, transcribing interviews for feature stories.
Teen Vogue x Parsons Fashion Industry Essentials Certificate In Progress
Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, Illinois Dec. 2014
- Bachelor of Arts in multimedia journalism with a magazine writing and editing concentration, and minor in fashion business
- Knowledgeable on AP style, best writing and editing practices, and latest news and trends
- Able to professionally use platforms such as: Hubspot, Sprout Social, Blogger, WordPress, Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, Youtube, and Pinterest
- Knowledge in Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and basic HTML
- Skillful at formatting posts for the web with CMS and utilizing best SEO practices
- Experience using a DSLR and audio recorder for basic video, audio, and still camera work.